[X4U] 10.4 names resolving over IP network

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Tue Jul 18 04:46:21 PDT 2006

At 4:31 PM +1100 7/18/06, Brett Conlon wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>My designers running 10.3 can type in the name of the Mac they want
>to connect with and it will resolve the IP's under the hood (as OSX
>so cleverly does) as long as they are on the same subnet.
>
>Any machine on the same network running 10.4 has lost this ability.
>They have to type in the full IP address (very boring for graphic
>designers). Is there something I can do to get this back up and
>running again?
>
>I'm running OSX Server on 10.3.9 in case that matters... I thought
>the names resolving under OSX was done on the client level. Perhaps
>it is done from the Server and I'll need to upgrade.

Our home network with 5 Macs is running Tiger, and the names still
work. You have to put ".local" at the end of the name in the
Go/Connect to Server dialog. The other thing is that after you type
in the name or IP address, you can click the "plus sign" (+) to add
that Mac to the list of Favorite servers, so you don't have to type
it again in the future.  You get the name of the remote Mac from the
Sharing Preference Pane.

So, it goes like this:

Command-K is the shortcut to the "Connect to Server" dialog.
Type:     RemoteMacSharingName.local
Click the plus sign to the right of what you typed (to add that name
to Favorites)
Click the Connect button.
Enter the user name and password of the remote computer. (and click
to "Remember password in keychain," if you wish)
Click Connect button.

Next time you want to connect to that machine, just press Command-K
then double click that remote computer in the list of Favorites.

Daly