[X4U] 10.4 names resolving over IP network

Brett Conlon brett.conlon at sonydadc.com
Tue Jul 18 19:05:13 PDT 2006

Hi Daly,

Thanks for that! It's working fine.

Did 10.4 introduce the mandatory requirement for ".local" to be added?
True, in 10.2 and 10.3 it always told us in the Sharing Preference pane
that "other people can connect to your mac by typing name.local" but
somehow we've been getting away with just "name".

Cheers,

Coj

Daly Jessup <jessup at san.rr.com>
Sent by: x4u-bounces at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
18/07/06 09:46 PM
Please respond to
"A place to discuss Mac OS X for the casual user."
<x4u at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>

"A place to discuss Mac OS X for the casual user."
<x4u at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>
cc

Subject
Re: [X4U] 10.4 names resolving over IP network

At 4:31 PM +1100 7/18/06, Brett Conlon wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>My designers running 10.3 can type in the name of the Mac they want
>to connect with and it will resolve the IP's under the hood (as OSX
>so cleverly does) as long as they are on the same subnet.
>
>Any machine on the same network running 10.4 has lost this ability.
>They have to type in the full IP address (very boring for graphic
>designers). Is there something I can do to get this back up and
>running again?
>
>I'm running OSX Server on 10.3.9 in case that matters... I thought
>the names resolving under OSX was done on the client level. Perhaps
>it is done from the Server and I'll need to upgrade.

<snipped>
You have to put ".local" at the end of the name ...
<snipped>

Daly