[X4U] Handheld GPS threads - request for summary

Jerry Kemp mac2 at oryx.cc
Tue Jul 18 09:01:12 PDT 2006

There has been at least a couple of hand held GPS threads on this in the past
couple of months.  For the most part, I have seen recommendations for a brand
called "Garmin".

It was also stated that Garmin had not released OS X software but planned to soon.

My wife's birthday is coming up and she had indicated that she would like a hand
held GPS.  For all of you who threw out the original questions about hand held
GPS's earlier, what did you buy?  And is everything working well for you with
what you purchased?

Did Garmin ever release their OS X software?  Or are you using some 3rd party
software with your GPS?

We have several late model PowerPC Mac's and some Sun Solaris/Sparc based
systems.  A couple of the suggestions from earlier threads were to go buy a
wintel box.  What ever I buy would not involve buying/running a windows box.

TIA for any summary or comments,

Jerry K