[X4U] Handheld GPS threads - request for summary [OT]

Simon Forster simon-lists at ldml.com
Wed Jul 19 01:33:04 PDT 2006

On 19 Jul 2006, at 06:42, David Ledger wrote:

> I too have been looking for a PDA based GPS. Garmin are one of the
> best established GPS manufacturers and their ...3600 Palm based
> unit is very nice. BUT (from various GPS fora).

This morning I purchased Navig8 for my Sony-Ericsson P900. I've
played with the software on my phone and, as a complete GPS neophyte,
was impressed with its general functionality. For GBP 99.00 (or less)
you get a bluetooth GPS receiver and 3 months subscription. Navig8
passes a lot of heavy lifting to remote servers so you need a GPRS
internet connection and, ultimately, to pay Navig8's annual tithe of
GBP 69.99 - but from what I can gather, all GPS services have an
annual subscription element if you want up-to-date maps.

Downside: extra data costs on mobile bill. The maps etc are well
compressed but even so, with my extensive testing last night and
repeated loading of maps covering a significant portion of the UK, I
managed to run up a mobile bill of GBP 4.28. (Not a lot or way too
much depending on your POV). I can imagine heavy users could run up
reasonable mobile data bills. (But if you're a heavy user, maybe you
should be looking at a dedicated GPS unit?)

Upside: I've got access to maps for all of Europe. If only I'd had
this a couple of weeks ago when we were in Greece - no more reliance
on the significant other's map reading abilities!

As someone who struggles to justify a GPS service, the relatively low
entry costs for this service (assuming you've already got the phone!)
are hard to beat.

Simon Forster