[X4U] Displaced Text in Safari

midiboy at mac.com midiboy at mac.com
Thu Jul 20 17:48:20 PDT 2006

On Jul 20, 2006, at 7:28 AM, Mark Des Cotes wrote:

> Dave,
>
> I've had the same problem for years, going all the way back to my
> first instal of Jaguar. The problem only occurs if Safari launches
> before Suitcase is loaded. If I make sure that Suitcase is running
> first I don't have the problem. I was also seeing the "alien code"
> in Mail but only in the mail headers, the body and mailboxes
> appeared fine. If Suitcase wasn't running before I launched Mail I
> couldn't tell who a message was from. I set Suitcase up to launch
> automatically upon startup and the problem went away.
>
> As a side note, I just tested it by quitting Suitcase, Safari and
> Mail and then opening Safari and Mail again without Suitcase
> running. So far I don't see the "alien code". Perhaps Apple fixed
> something or perhaps a font was re-installed when I upgraded to
> Tiger a couple of months ago.
>
> Mark Des Cotes
> Systems Manager/Graphic Designer

Now, this is interesting. Suitcase is not the first app to open in my
login items, although it has always been in there.  The telltale app
is probably iCal. It was set to open well before Suitcase. My guess
is the text services for all the Apple apps is substantially the same
- maybe identical (I'll bow to the gurus on this). So, maybe this is
the cause.  Anyway I reset the order of my login items with Suitcase
opening only after my mouse driver, and before everything else,
except SmartReporter.

Thanks for the insight!

Dave