[X4U] problems with USB hub and OSX

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Fri Jul 21 14:32:06 PDT 2006

On 21 Jul 2006, at 20:36, Judy Antipin wrote:

> I bought a USB hub  at Micro Center that was supposed to be mac
> comaptible. Didn't use it for a couple months.
> ...  went to the Inland-products.com website, where it shows that
> Windows is the only system listed as compatible.

This is pretty much irrelevant. The USB hub is not interested in the
host OS, nor the functions of the peripherals connected to it. Any
USB hub should be Mac, Windows & Linux-compatible, but it is possible
that a cheap one could cause (latency on the USB bus? and) the
spinning beachballs you describe.

> I finally connected it the other day and used it with my regular
> printer (Epson 785 EPX) and an all in one Lexmark X73. It worked,
> but began noticing system slowdown and lots of spinning beachballs,
> particulary in my Netscape browser and email but also other programs.
> I disconnected the Inland powered USB 2.0 high speed hub as well as
> the Lexmark printer.... I've done numerous restarts and also used
> Applejack in single user mode on startup, but still have slowdowns
> after about a half-hour of use...

Do you get the slow-downs when the hub is disconnected? If so then
the hub is irrelevant, and the fact that slow-downs started when it
was introduced is surely coincidence. I detest Lexmark printers &
would try & isolate that to ensure it is not the guilty party; I
frequently see printing problems associated with Lexmark's drivers
under Windows XP, and if they cannot serve their principle market
properly, what hope do Mac users have? (ps: take it back & get a Canon)

Stroller.