[X4U] iPhoto Library Reorganization

Ken Schneider ken at schneider.net
Fri Jul 28 10:42:02 PDT 2006

I just got a decent digital SLR (Canon Rebel XT) and now I'm not sure
what to do with my iPhoto library.  I had been using a small 2
megapixel Canon PowerShot for years and would just import directly
into iPhoto.  Before version 6, the library was simply stored in
nested numbered folders corresponding to the date the images were
shot.  Now with version 6, the library is organized completely
differently.  Plus, If I use the Canon ImageBrowser software to
import the SLR pictures, they are organized differently.  In
addition, I want to keep all my images on a drive that is on a
different Mac on my home network.

What do I do?  What did you do?

Import using iPhoto vs Canon ImageBrowser?
Let iPhoto organize the library vs Canon ImageBrowser vs manually
making folders?
Reorganize my current iPhoto library to manual organization or
ImageBrowser organization?
Archive current iPhoto library and start over with SLR images?
Manually name files vs keeping camera file naming?
Purchase Portfolio or iView MediaPro or Aperture or Lightroom (when
available)?
Anything else I forgot to consider?

Thanks,

-= Ken =-