[X4U] iPhoto Library Reorganization [1]

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Sat Jul 29 09:21:20 PDT 2006

On 28/7/06 1:42 PM, "Ken Schneider" <ken at schneider.net> wrote:

> ... I had been using a small 2
> megapixel Canon PowerShot for years and would just import directly
> into iPhoto.  Before version 6, the library was simply stored in
> nested numbered folders corresponding to the date the images were
> shot.  Now with version 6, the library is organized completely
> differently.

Ummm... I'm not sure how your iPhoto library was organised, but mine
has NEVER been organised like that.

On the left-hand side of iPhoto I have a "Library" section with each
year underneath it, then "Last Roll" and "Last 12 months" and then I
have my own folders & albums.

The way you're "supposed" to use iPhoto is to import into the library
then go into "last roll" and drag & drop the images into the
appropriate folder / album. So you might move them into "Holidays" or
"Visiting Granny". I don't use iPhoto so much since I got my XT but
AFAICT each "Album" is hierarchically underneath a folder; you can
have a photo in only one folder (unless you duplicate it) but in many
albums (within the same folder). So you might want to have "eBay" and
"family" as separate folders, but within "family" you could have
albums for Jon, June & Granny - a photo of Jon & Granny would be in
"family" but both the "Jon" and "Granny" albums.

If you mean "the image files used by iPhoto used to be organised in
nested numbered folders within ~/Pictures/iPhoto Library/" then give
yourself a slap on the wrist - you shouldn't be accessing those files
in that way. iPhoto is a photo-organisation app, and in using iPhoto
you're saying "I trust iPhoto to take care of my images for me, I
will move images around only within iPhoto's interface". Yes, in an
emergency you can extract an image from iPhoto's library using
Finder, but most of the time you shouldn't need to. If you edit any
of the files within iPhotos library by accessing them through Finder
then you will break iPhoto's indexing, and that'll really mess things
up. If you want to Photoshop a photo from your iPhoto library then
you should right-click on the image within iPhoto and choose "Open
With External Editor".

This way of working takes a bit of getting used to, and initially I
hated it myself. But you need to consider iPhoto fundamentally broken
as an image-editor if you demand control of your image-files through
the Finder.

> Plus, If I use the Canon ImageBrowser software to
> import the SLR pictures, they are organized differently.

Indeed. These images are not imported into the iPhoto library. With
reference to my previous statement, you can freely move photos around
within the file-structure created by ImageBrowser. I don't think
ImageBrowser will care - although I don't really use ImageBrowser
myself I'm pretty sure that the folder-tree shown on the left-hand
side is just a "Finder-alternative" or "Finder-compatible" interface,
and represents the location of the files on the hard-drive (in a way
that iPhoto's folders & albums do not).

> In
> addition, I want to keep all my images on a drive that is on a
> different Mac on my home network.

Ummm... that makes life difficult. If you import them into iPhoto on
machine X then you can use iPhoto's "Sharing" preference to allow you
to browse them on machine Y. But I don't think machine Y has any
right to organise them. Alternatively you could point Machine Y's
iPhoto library at a network share - I think you would have to do this
by removing the iPhoto folder on Machine Y and replacing it with a
symlink to "/Volumes/Machine X/iPhoto Library".

> ...What did you do?
>
> Import using iPhoto vs Canon ImageBrowser?

I find iPhoto a little restrictive for "serious" photography, and
haven't trusted it to store images in a non-lossy format (although I
see from its options there's a checkbox to allow RAW edits to be kept
as 16-bit TIFFs).

I'm personally not quite ready yet to commit to any of the other
image management utilities, so I import from the with camera with
Canon ImageBrowser and then import those files into Aperture. This
leaves me with 2 copies of the RAW files, of course, so I will
probably end up importing directly into Aperture or deleting the
whole Canon ImageBrowser file structure.

> Let iPhoto organize the library vs Canon ImageBrowser vs manually
> making folders?

As I explained above, if you use iPhoto you don't have a choice. The
only thing you can do is import from the camera with ImageBrowser and
then import again into iPhoto - when you import into iPhoto, iPhoto
makes a copy of the file and stores it wherever it wishes within your
User's "Pictures/iPhoto Library" folder.

[CONTINUED]