[X4U] iPhoto Library Reorganization

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Mon Jul 31 09:37:41 PDT 2006

On 31 Jul 2006, at 14:15, Richard Gilmore wrote:

> On 29/7/06 11:28 AM, "Stroller" <macmonster at myrealbox.com> wrote:
>

>> On 28 Jul 2006, at 19:55, Richard Gilmore wrote:
>>
>>> I have the XT as well. Great camera. I just use iPhoto and it's
>>> good for the
>>> most part... I find it won't
>>> import Canon RAW files period.
>>
>> Ummm... it does here.
>>

> It doesn't for me but I'm using an intel. Don't know how that makes a
> difference but it does.

Ummm... it doesn't here.

http://mac.stroller.uk.eu.org/Canon_RAW-Intel_Mac.jpg

I haven't done anything special to achieve this. Although I tested on
my G5 yesterday you can see from the screenshot that I've copied
Canon RAW .CR2 file across to my MacBook and imported it into iPhoto.

As I said yesterday:
    ...all I did here to import the RAW file into iPhoto was right-click
    on MyBunny.CR2, choose "Open With..." and "Other" then choose
iPhoto.

> I found some weirdness between intel and PPC. The
> Canon tools will see my camera and import RAW files on PPC but not
> on the
> Mactel (running under Rosetta of course). On intel either using
> iPhoto or
> Image Capture the machine appears to be downloading the very first
> picture
> then stops and hangs and hangs, eventually I have to force quit. I
> use the
> Canon tools on a PPC to do the import then bring the RAW files back
> to intel
> where I can edit them with the Canon tools.

I can't comment about importing directly from the EOS XT _camera_ to
iPhoto, and wouldn't be at all surprised if that played up on Intel.
I don't know if Canon have Universal Binaries for their import
software yet, either - I know there have been some discussions about
this on the DPreview.com Mac tools forum about this, but haven't paid
attention.

But iPhoto DOES import the Canon CR2 files - a work-around for Intel
Mac users might be to get a USB (or better, USB2) card-reader, and
use that to access the flash card.

Stroller.

PS: we love Granny's Garden! But I think it would take an experienced
motorsports photographer & some fast glass to do this critter justice
when he decides to go haring! This bunny can go from sitting-nibbling-
at-the-grass to SUPERFREAKINGSONIC and back again to hiding-in-the-
shrubbery in less time that it takes for me to get the camera from my
lap to my eye!!