[X4U] Re: iPhoto Library Reorganization

Ken Schneider ken at schneider.net
Sun Jul 30 17:28:24 PDT 2006

Thank you very much, Stroller, for your comprehensive reply.  On your
suggestion, I'm going to go down to the Apple Store on Monday and
pick up Aperture to use as my main photo management software.  I have
just finishing up archiving my iPhoto rolls to CD and will probably
just use iPhoto for family snapshots while I use Aperture for my
serious work – mostly landscape and nature.

The reason I had mentioned the nested numbered folders that iPhoto 5
used to use in the Finder (~/Pictures/iPhoto LIbrary) was because I
was thinking of moving all my iPhoto pics over to Aperture.  I just
like knowing where things are in case I need to get to something.  I
thought I would have to manually move the originals or modified
versions to a folder to import into Aperture.  Then when iPhoto 6
changed the way it stored image files it made things more confusing.
That's part of what made me decide to archive and start over with
Aperture.

It will be interesting to see how Aperture organizes things when
importing directly into it from the camera or card reader.  The less
programs used to import, manipulate, and manage photos, the easier it
will be.  I'm hoping I can bypass using Canon ImageBrowswer.  Do you
know if Aperture will keep track of images that you archive to CD or
DVD and then remove from your hard drive?  I know Portfolio does
that.  I would assume you use Photoshop for layering or cleanup.  Do
you use Canon Digital Photo Professional at all?

Now for my next headache – getting the color matching done between my
Epson 2480 scanner, Apple 23" display and my Epson 1280 & Epson
R300.  I'm hoping to find a Nikon CoolScan V ED film scanner too.
I've got lots of slides and negative to get into my system.

Thanks,

-= Ken =-