[X4U] Re: iPhoto Library Reorganization

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Mon Jul 31 10:05:05 PDT 2006

On 31 Jul 2006, at 01:28, Ken Schneider wrote:
> The reason I had mentioned the nested numbered folders that iPhoto
> 5 used to use in the Finder (~/Pictures/iPhoto LIbrary) was because
> I was thinking of moving all my iPhoto pics over to Aperture.  I
> just like knowing where things are in case I need to get to
> something.  I thought I would have to manually move the originals
> or modified versions to a folder to import into Aperture.

In fact I find that Aperture has an "Import my iPhoto library" option
when it starts up that you might find useful. I haven't really got to
grips with Aperture's albums & folders yet (I'll probably ask on
aperture at yahoogroups.com in the next month or two), but you could
probably lump all of your iPhoto stuff into one folder or album and
not see them most of the time. The same with family snapshots - these
may not seem to be in the same league as our "fine art" captures, but
the perfectionist in me makes me want to bring them out as best I can.

> It will be interesting to see how Aperture organizes things when
> importing directly into it from the camera or card reader.  The
> less programs used to import, manipulate, and manage photos, the
> easier it will be.

Indeed. That's what's so nice about Aperture & Lightroom. Aperture
basically imports all your images into one of its albums, I usually
create a new one first, and then you can reorganise those into
folders or other albums or whatever.

> I'm hoping I can bypass using Canon ImageBrowswer.

I think you should be able to.

> Do you know if Aperture will keep track of images that you archive
> to CD or DVD and then remove from your hard drive?

I don't believe it lets you *remove* them yet - with the size & price
of hard-drives I think this is an issue for people with image-file
collections of over 200gig or 300gig.  But it does have a "file
vault" function and tells you at each start-up how many images have
not yet been backed-up to a "vault" (such as a DVD).

> I would assume you use Photoshop for layering or cleanup.

Yes. Not taht much, tho'.

> Do you use Canon Digital Photo Professional at all?

Nope, not at all. I found it confusing when I tried it.

> Now for my next headache – getting the color matching done between
> my Epson 2480 scanner, Apple 23" display and my Epson 1280 & Epson
> R300.

Good luck - I don't envy you that chore!!

> I'm hoping to find a Nikon CoolScan V ED film scanner too.  I've
> got lots of slides and negative to get into my system.

Yes, I have a few of those I'd like to scan, but not enough of them
to make it worthwhile buying a professional scanner.

Stroller.