[X4U] Transfering from iBook to TiBook

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Mon Jun 12 10:59:40 PDT 2006

On 06/11/06, Wayne Wilkin <macsys at mac.com> wrote:

> In the Utilities folder there is an application called Migration
> Assistant. Launch it, it wil walk you thru the process.
>
> On Jun 11, 2006, at 11:54 AM, M.Milligan wrote:
>> When I purchased my iBook 1.25GHz, upon booting it up, I was given
>> the option to  transfer the memory contents of my existing TiBook
>> 667 MHz into the iBook. An option I elected to take.
>>
>> Now, my iBook is my prime computer. I'd like to reverse the
>> previous process, so both xBooks are the same again.
>>
>> What is the process I need to do to transfer, via Firewire, the
>> iBooks contents into the TiBook?
>>
>> I'm not thick, but I do want to do this correctly and there are
>> some excellent helpful folks on this list. Cheers.

Be careful here. You need to boot with the TiBook and run the Migration
Assistant from there, not from the iBook. Additionally, you could always clone
the iBook to the TiBook, but you have to ensure that you don't run afoul of
computer-specific anomalies. See
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25784 >for details. Without
knowing the OS versions on both machines and other software details, it's
difficult to assess the problems that may arise. One option is to boot the
TiBook with its restore disk, use Disk Utility to erase the HD, select Mac OS
Extended as the format, install OS 9 drivers if it can boot into OS 9, restore
the software, restart, hook up the iBook in TDM, anduse the Migration Assistant
to transfer from the new machine to the old.