[X4U] Battery Capacity Question

Lee Licata lazilicata at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 09:44:46 PDT 2006

Dear list,

Here is an update.

First, using X-charge as suggested by Randy, learned that the battery
will last 2.3 hours if the computer is used continually, with airport
on, blue tooth off, sleep set at 10 minutes, display sleep at 5,
sleep hard disk whenever possible, reduced processor performance.

If not used continuously, but will the computer checking email every
15 minutes, and me checking the computer every 30-45 minutes, then
get about 4 hours.

But, measuring battery capacity using the program mentioned below,
got the following:

Before these tests:

Last login: Mon Jun 12 08:17:05 on console
     | | |   "IOBatteryInfo" = ({"Capacity"=5097,"Amperage"=0,"Cycle
Count"=112,"Current"=5089,"Voltage"=12494,"Flags"=1090519045,"AbsoluteMa
xCapacity"=5400})

and after:

Last login: Tue Jun 13 15:52:20 on ttyp1
     | | |   "IOBatteryInfo" = ({"Capacity"=4947,"Amperage"=0,"Cycle
Count"=115,"Current"=4945,"Voltage"=12514,"Flags"=1090519045,"AbsoluteMa
xCapacity"=5400})

The concern: with 3 deep cycle discharges and full recharges, the
battery's capacity dropped from 5097 milli-Amp-hrs to 4947!

I found both the magnitude and the % change quite an eye-opener, if
not near alarming....

I do have a new 6000+ milli-Amp-hr battery in the closet. Seems I may
be needing that sooner rather than later.

Or, do I have it all wrong?

Help?

Lee

Old message:

From: Lee Licata
Date: June 12, 2006 17:50:34 GMT+03:00

Randy, thanks!

Will download X-Charge.

Stroller, I am getting my stats from running terminal program called
"Battery Capacity.term" It keeps track of cycle, battery capacity,
etc...

So, I will state that I typically allow the powerbook to discharge to
within 15-20 minutes of when Slimbattery monitor says that it will be
exhausted.

Will let people know...

Thanks to all and keep your comments coming, please!

Lee

Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 08:31:19 +0300
From: Lee Licata

Dear List,

I have a 17" G4 Powerbook that I purchased in November 2004.

It has an applecare contract.
.... [deleted for beverity]