[X4U] Spotlight and Address Book- Strange Behavior

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Sat Jun 17 01:30:09 PDT 2006

On 17 Jun 2006, at 07:39, Ronald Steinke wrote:

> On 16 June, 2006, at 4:55:30, Lee Licata wrote:
>
>> So, I reindexed spotlight. Took 2 hours. No change.
>>
>> Through out spotlight's plist.
>> Can anyone shed some light on this strange behavior?
>
> No, but I can shed some light on your spelling of the word
> "through". The word WAS spelled correctly, but its meaning is
> totally at odds with the definition that you intended.
>
> Your spelling can mean "over" as in a project being complete and
> done, or it can mean "in all places" as in over a whole area, among
> other definitions.
>
> The spelling you should have used is "threw" as in to send through
> the air with a motion of the hand or arm or as in "threw out" as in
> disposed of or gotten rid of.

In fact you're incorrect.

The word "threw" was COMPLETELY MISSPELLED as "through". They are two
different words.

They are not - as you seem to be suggesting - one word that happens
to be spelled in different ways depending upon the meaning. I don't
know if there are ANY words in the English language that have that
property - just lots of different words that sound the same.

See? You're not the only person on the list who can be pedantic.

> Is anyone out there aware of the reason(s) that our educational
> system is not teaching students how to use our language properly?

Mr Pot, I can see that you've met Mr Kettle.

Stroller.