[X4U] Spotlight and Address Book- Strange Behavior

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Fri Jun 16 23:39:58 PDT 2006

On 16 June, 2006, at 4:55:30, Lee Licata wrote:

> Can anyone shed some light on this strange behavior?

No, but I can shed some light on your spelling of the word "through".
The word WAS spelled correctly, but its meaning is totally at odds
with the definition that you intended.

Your spelling can mean "over" as in a project being complete and
done, or it can mean "in all places" as in over a whole area, among
other definitions.

The spelling you should have used is "threw" as in to send through
the air with a motion of the hand or arm or as in "threw out" as in
disposed of or gotten rid of.

I know that english is a very difficult language to learn, but
individual words have certain meanings that should not be confused
with other words  by using improper spelling just because the words
sound alike or similar. To me, it is a mark of education and
intelligence to use words in their proper context and spelling. Your
error would NOT have been detected by using a spell checker because
both words are valid words when spelled correctly, but that
explanation does not make the error go away.

Is anyone out there aware of the reason(s) that our educational
system is not teaching students how to use our language properly?