[X4U] RAM/MacBook Pro question

eleventhvolume colin at eleventhvolume.com
Wed Jun 21 12:55:51 PDT 2006

I own a 15" MacBook Pro with 1GB RAM, latest OS version. I'm mainly running
the following universal binaries:
- Firefox (quite a lot of open tabs e.g. 10 or 12)
- iTunes
And the following Rosetta apps:
- Entourage
- Word

I'm finding the whole machine sluggish at times, lots of spinning beachballs
- I realise this has quite a bit to do with running Rosetta apps, but should
Firefox be taking forever at times to respond? And is 1GB enough or will
maxing the RAM help particularly with these relatively low system
requirements?

I do also sometimes use the latest versions of Dreamweaver, Photoshop and
iPhoto (not consecutively) and find iPhoto the slowest by a long shot,
despite rebuilding the database and turning off drop shadows.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

All the best, Colin.