[X4U] Napster purchased songs cannot be converted to AAC for use on iPod

Jens Selvig lstnmt at bresnan.net
Thu Jun 22 20:48:46 PDT 2006

My suspicion is that deep down in the licensing agreement that you
have to agree to to pay and download music from the iTunes store you
agree to maintaining the DRM state of the music. I could be wrong
about that, of course.

My understanding is that you can make 5 CD's in iTunes of the same
playlist. To make more copies you need to change the playlist order
or contents. I'm thinking 5 copies for personal use is  reasonable,
however the other restrictions as to on what devices etc I play the
music is a deal breaker for me.

On Jun 22, 2006, at 4:35 PM, Eddie Hargreaves wrote:

> On 6/22/06 3:02 PM, Jens Selvig <lstnmt at bresnan.net> wrote:
>
>> Is not using one of these programs to disable the DRM protection on a
>> music file, about the same as stealing? To me it would be the
>> equivalent of taking a copyright notice off of a photograph.
>
> That is a flawed analogy. First, the copyright to the music is held
> by the
> record company and/or artist, not Apple. Removing Apple's DRM does not
> remove any copyright on the music. Second, stealing implies that
> you took
> something. If you paid money, you didn't steal.

Once you purchase an item the Music company can't go back and change
the rules. Those early cd's (or whatever) were not DRM'd. I believe
it will ultimately be up to the consumer as to how all of this will
DRM stuff will come out. I choose not to use iTunes to get my music.
I probably have around 1000 music cds in my library, I won't purchase
locked cds nor will I use the iTunes store to purchase music. I have
to admit that I did try it out and found the purchasing experience to
be nice but like others have stated the restrictions are onerous to
the point of driving me away as a customer.

>> On 6/22/06 3:02 PM, Jens Selvig <lstnmt at bresnan.net> wrote:
>>
>> If you don't like the DRM restrictions don't purchase the music.
>>

> I agree. Unfortunately, some of today's DRM restrictions were not
> in place
> when I purchased the music. And those restrictions could change
> again at any
> time.

Jens

...lost in Montana...