[X4U] firewire hub

Vard Nelson vnelson at detectgeo.com
Fri Jun 23 09:15:51 PDT 2006

I agree with the remarks at the bottom.  I have chained FireWire hard drives
and optical drives for several years (only up to about three devices in a
chain, however) with very little in the way of problems.  I have lost
several FireWire hard drives as either the cases or the drives themselves
went bad, but the FireWire processing structure seems to have been
essentially quite stable, which includes reading from and writing to the
same volume or different volumes on the same chain.  (We routinely process
input files on the order of 20-100 GB with equivalent output file sizes.)

My software provider has had some problems with very large data sorts,
however.  He occasionally will sort data volumes on the order of 300 GB, and
he says that the FireWire boxes that house four drives in an array will
almost invariably "get lost"  somewhere along the line.  He says if he cuts
the size of the job down to 30 GB or so he rarely has problems, but
something is not quite stable enough to get through the "really" large jobs.
I do not know this for certain, just passing the input along.  Good luck,
everyone!

Vard Nelson