[X4U] Tolerance (was Spotlight and Address Book- Strange Behavior)

alexandre mac.k at a2k.ch
Mon Jun 26 05:12:24 PDT 2006

On 26 juin 06, at 12:23, DZ-Jay wrote:

> Hello:
> 	Good communication skills are essential in order to convey your
> ideas properly; and in this overly-connected world, doubly so.  The
> trivialization of language, English or otherwise, seems to be a
> common problem in the modern, networked world.  For some reason
> people regard E-mail as a "different" medium, using as excuse long-
> standings myths such as the lack of emotional context, and the
> speed of communications; forgetting, somehow, thousands of years of
> written words expressing all sorts of human traits, ideas, and
> sensibilities.
>
> 	I understand that English is not your native language, however the
> mistakes in your message are consistent with the current trend of
> commonly misspelled words in American youths, which is a sign of
> either laziness or lack of instruction.  The comments on the
> response by Mr. Steinke address both:  the former by admonishing
> the practice, the latter by explaining the mistakes.  You should
> heed the advice and move on.  This is not a matter of
> "intolerance", as you claim, for it is not tolerance but apathy
> that is exercised when such errors are ignored.
>
> 	dZ.

i found no trace concerning anybody's reaction to lee's spelling or
use of english so i won't react to that, though in his reaction his
english seemed just fine.

as to this piece of advice… what is there to say? it's just pure
arrogance. have you ever heard of the concept of "english as a
foreign language" where spelling mistakes are NOT due to laziness or
lack of instruction (at least not in the sense in which you mean it…)?

alexandre
:: 17" 1.5ghz powerbook / 1.5gb / 100gb at 7200 / X.4.6 ::