[X4U] Tolerance (was Spotlight and Address Book- Strange Behavior)

William Jurgenson wjsjlauffen at t-online.de
Mon Jun 26 22:08:38 PDT 2006

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 12:08:29 -0700 (PDT),
x4u-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com wrote:
> Perhaps a message that chides someone else for spelling/grammar mistakes
> ought to be free of spelling mistakes itself.

that is for sure!

And my observation is, that many of those brought up speaking English
are by no means free of such errors, at best typos, more often, the
alluded to laziness. And the"American youth" what ever that is,
mentioned in the thread is not the prime culprit. When it comes to
faulty or completely missing punctuation, nobody, not even non-native
speakers, can beat the English.
My own experience - I am a native speaker, have spent a few semesters
studying English, have done some professional translating, and  have
taught English to Germans - is that non-native speakers are greatful
for corrections if they are approached in a friendly manner. GKC once
wrote, 'One should convey the truth by wrapping it around the person's
shoulders like a warm cloak and not by beating it into the head with a
wet towel.' nuf said.
Where I see avoidable mistakes, I mail that person privately and
explain what is wrong.
Proof-reading has no place in this or most any other list, unless the
person in question is a constant offender and it appears obvious, that
he doesn't give a damn about the other posters. OTOH, trying to
discipline such a one is useless.

regards,

Bill

'Dogs look at you like they know
what you've done, and they're going to tell the other dogs'

GKC.