[X4U] OT: Question on cross posting and copyright infringement

William Jurgenson wjsjlauffen at t-online.de
Mon Jun 26 22:21:40 PDT 2006

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 12:08:29 -0700 (PDT),
x4u-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com wrote:
> 	It is not nuts.  It make perfect sense.  Think about it instead of
> react to it.
>
> 	The law is perfectly clear: a writer owns what they write.  They
> have--or should have--control over what happens to their words.  This
> is important.  I have run across several instances where violation of
> this right has caused problems.

quoting a source in private communication does not in any way infringe
on copyright. Email is private communication. It is a simple as that.
It is a manner of good manners to name the source and to quote
correctly, using proper punctation to show where something has been
deleted or is only being paraphrased. It is not necessary to name the
source with all the data including ISBN.

And the law is also perfectly clear, that a writer is responsible for
what he writes, just as I am at the moment for what I am writing here.

When quoting from a published source, it is only necessary to be exact
and to give the complete source. The author has no legal grounds to
object, since by publishing, he has gone public.  The quote you use,
taken from your publication or communication cannot be used for or
against the original author. It can be if taken from his original
publication, but that cannot be any concern of yours.

It is a different matter entirely when quoting from private
communication or from a lecture for instance. There, written permission
from the author is absolutely necessary. Good manners should seem
obvious...

get the feet back on the ground.

regards,

Bill

'Dogs look at you like they know
what you've done, and they're going to tell the other dogs'

GKC.