[X4U] Web browser copying of formatted data/tables to spreadsheet cells?

Stan Gould groups at stangould.com
Wed Mar 1 06:39:19 PST 2006

Michael Elliott wrote:

> I typically would log into the site, select all of my credit card
> transactions in the table they provided, and pasted it into
> AppleWorks without any fuss.  IF I used Internet Explorer.  Safari
> would always paste all of the information in a single column, instead
> of into the individual cells of the spreadsheet, which I wanted.   I
> could always fire up Internet Explorer on my PPC iMac, and it would
> allow me to copy the data while preserving the (TAB?) delimited
> nature of the table.
>
> Now, when I launch Explorer under Rosetta, I can't seem to click-drag-
> to-select and then copy the data.  I've tried several other browsers
> (opera under Rosetta, omniweb, firefox under rosetta) but all of them
> screw with the formatting when i paste into the spreadsheet.

Michael:

I ran into the same problem when I upgraded from 9.2 to OS X. I solved
the problem by switching to Camino. I still have Safari, but never use
it. Camino is a great browser, and will correctly paste financial data
from a web table into a spreadsheet. According to their website, "Camino
1.0 is a universal binary and runs natively on both PowerPC- and
Intel-based Macs." For more info: http://www.caminobrowser.org/

Hope this helps.

Stan

*The Spiritual Toolbox
Tools for Spiritual Survival in a Faith Hostile Society
http://www.spiritools.com
*