[X4U] Weird CD-R writing problem

Nick Scalise nickscalise at cox.net
Thu Mar 2 15:55:26 PST 2006

On Mar 2, 2006, at 12:04 AM, Zane H. Healy wrote:

> I needed to burn some data to a CD-R tonight and I ran into
> something I've never seen before.  Unfortunately I didn't record
> the error codes that Toast 6 Titanium popped up when it failed to
> write out the tail.
>
> Here is my setup.
> Original model G5 dual 2Ghz w/3.5GB RAM
> Mac OS X 10.3.9
> Toast Titanium 6.0
> Verbatim DataLifePlus 1-32x (Super Azo)
>
> Instead of a normal burn pattern, the disks have rings on them that
> are a gradient from light to dark.  Very strange.  Does anyone
> happen to know if this is this an issue with the blanks, or if it's
> the drive?  I've no idea how old the blanks are, however, I do know
> that they're several years old.  They've been sitting on my
> computer desk by my monitor for probably 2-3 years, and they're
> older than that I think.
>
> Next I tried an even older blank:
> Verbatim DataLifePlus 1-16x (Azo Blue)
> I wrote it at 12x, and it burned just fine.
>
> Yes, I have a bunch of old CD-R Blanks around. :^)

I've seen patterns on CD's that I have burned lately too. For me the
pattern is rings that are about 1/2 inch in diameter and they
alternate in shade. Kind of like how you see grass cut on a baseball
field. Everything verified fine.

My disks are old also, but probably not much more than a year.

--
Nick Scalise
nickscalise at cox.net