[X4U] Losing Wireless connection

Samantha Cornell samantha at netresults.biz
Thu Mar 2 17:56:32 PST 2006

I have been having a problem maintaining my wireless connection.  I
have a Netgear wireless router and connect via Comcast. I have a iMac
G4 (10.3) connected directly to the router.  I connect wirelessly
from 2 G4 iBooks (both 10.4).

Frequently, when surfing, the signal is dropped.  The menu bar
airport icon shows that there are 3 bars (instead of 4), but I am
unable connect to any servers. I do not get any alert boxes, i just
can't connect. Network diagnostics gives me green lights on Airport,
Airport setting, Network setting & ISP, but hangs indefinitely on
Internet and Server.

I am usually able to remedy this situation by turning the Airport
card off and on again, or by attempting to connect another network,
then back to my own. Sometimes I will have to do this just once,
sometimes I will have to do it multiple times.  Sometimes the
solution is long-term, sometimes the connection only lasts for a few
minutes.

When this happens, I am able to connect just fine using the iMac (not
wireless).  I am also able to use laptop in other locations and
maintain a connection without problems.

Do I need to replace my router?  If necessary, that's fine, but I'd
hate to spend the $$ (tax season) if not absolutely necessary.

Thanks for your insight!

Samantha