[X4U] Which program to clone with?

B. Kuestner kuestner at macnews.de
Fri Mar 3 09:51:57 PST 2006

SuperDuper gets good reviews. Some folks are initially confused by
the UI, but after a while I have not heard that anybody wasn't
satisfied with the app. It is not free.

Disk Utility is not free. You have to look around to find the actual
functionality which might not be available in older versions. It does
not synchronize, meaning that it always copies all files, even if
maybe only 1000 files have changed between the latest mirror and your
current state. That can take time.

CCC is very affordable and seems reliable. I have a few issues with CCC:
- Only requests password but not login name. So you cannot run it as
a non-admin user and only authorize this one process with admin
privileges
- CCC requests the password over and over again at initial copy (when
it isn't syncing)
- You need psync installed. CCC should help to install it, but the
link in the application is broken. You can get it from Mike Bombich's
home page
- Sometimes the GUI virtually freezes: switching to the application
does not bring up the window, interrupting processes (e. g. repairing
permissions) is not possible

Björn