[X4U] Re: Which program to clone with?

Lists lists at tntluoma.com
Sat Mar 4 07:35:36 PST 2006

On Mar 3, 2006, at 9:43 AM, Crandon David wrote:

> So...is there any consensus as to which program is better used to
> clone my hard drive to another hard drive?
>
> Should I use Carbon Copy Cloner, SuperDuper, or Tiger's built in
> cloning?

Better, as it has been said, is in the eye of the beholder.

I've got an 80gb drive and an 80gb backup drive and bought
SuperDuper.  Its version of incremental backups works so well that I
can run it in a few minutes, and it runs automatically each night
around 2:30 a.m.

The program is vastly less expensive than lost data from either not
having any backups or not having recent backups due to the program
taking a long time to run.

WARNING: This probably applies to all backup programs, but I know it
can cause SD problems: I was used to running Toast late at night to
encode DVDs, etc.  If you do that, make sure that your "Roxio
Converted Items" is NOT on the main drive which is being backed up.
I moved mine to an external drive and haven't had any problems since.

TjL