[X4U] Re: Are all Bluetooth Adapters the same

Lists lists at tntluoma.com
Sat Mar 4 16:57:48 PST 2006

On Mar 1, 2006, at 9:54 PM, Adrian Stubbs wrote:

> I bought a RAZR and it would be nice to have a play with
> Bluetooth.  I've seen lots of discussions about problems with
> various devices talking to the Mac... and it seems that OS version
> makes a difference.
>
> Anyways, I wondered if the devices themselves varied much; should I
> just pay 15$ and get something on eBay or do I have to dole out 30$
> for that d-link that apple sell?
>
> I use Panther; any problems there?

I'm all in favor of going with "suggested" peripherals for something
as notoriously flaky as Bluetooth.

(Disclaimer: my Mac has BT built-in and I only have minimal
experience with an adapter and that is under Windows XP)

I'd checkout the RAZR sites and see if they report any issues with d-
Link, and if it seems like they work together, go with that.

Personally, I think an extra $15 is a small price to pay for avoiding
potential headaches.

I tend to avoid eBay as I always figure there has to be a reason why
people are getting rid of these things, but obviously thousands of
people have used it with acceptable levels of success.  (I tend to
have lousy luck with bargains.)

That said, if you find a $15 version which seems to be work with the
RAZR and Mac OS X (again, which you verify beforehand with Google,
etc) then you might save yourself some $$$.  The trade-off is time
spent researching.

FWIW
TjL