[X4U] Re: Are all Bluetooth Adapters the same

Adrian Stubbs stubbsz at comcast.net
Sat Mar 4 18:45:41 PST 2006

Lists wrote:

> On Mar 1, 2006, at 9:54 PM, Adrian Stubbs wrote:
>
>> I bought a RAZR and it would be nice to have a play with Bluetooth.
>> I've seen lots of discussions about problems with various devices
>> talking to the Mac... and it seems that OS version makes a difference.
>>
>> Anyways, I wondered if the devices themselves varied much; should I
>> just pay 15$ and get something on eBay or do I have to dole out 30$
>> for that d-link that apple sell?
>>
>> I use Panther; any problems there?
>
> I'm all in favor of going with "suggested" peripherals for something
> as notoriously flaky as Bluetooth.
>
> (Disclaimer: my Mac has BT built-in and I only have minimal experience
> with an adapter and that is under Windows XP)
>
> I'd checkout the RAZR sites and see if they report any issues with
> d-Link, and if it seems like they work together, go with that.
>
> Personally, I think an extra $15 is a small price to pay for avoiding
> potential headaches.
>
> I tend to avoid eBay as I always figure there has to be a reason why
> people are getting rid of these things, but obviously thousands of
> people have used it with acceptable levels of success.  (I tend to
> have lousy luck with bargains.)
>

> That said, if you find a $15 version which seems to be work with the
> RAZR and Mac OS X (again, which you verify beforehand with Google,
> etc) then you might save yourself some $$$.  The trade-off is time
> spent researching.
They had a sale on a MacSense one at Fry's so I picked that up and it
works fine.  I wish there was a way to transfer ALL my addresses, I seem
to have to do it one at a time....

Re the eBay comment:  People aren't trying to "get rid of things" they
sell a lot of them for a small profit... they don't stock a shelf and
they sell hundreds of them.

-Adrian