[X4U] Just curious, Emptying trash

Doug McNutt douglist at macnauchtan.com
Mon Mar 13 22:04:10 PST 2006

At 15:46 -0800 3/13/06, Daly Jessup wrote:
>So you are not talking about the OS X GUI interface at all. But you tweaked my curiosity. Could you explain what you mean by "BBEdit worksheet"? I've just had a pleasant excursion into BBEdit Help but don't find the answer there, at least not in those words. I gather you are using some aspect of BBEdit AS "terminal"?

BBEdit worksheets are the closest one can come to Apple's MPW worksheet (classic only) on OS neXt.

You need a paid version of BBEdit version 6 or higher (8 is current). File_new offers an option to create a worksheet. You specify a shell and you can execute commands by selecting them and ENTERing. The enter key is NOT the same as a return key which simply terminates a line. Output from a tool to stdout is "printed" into the worksheet right after the selection. The first worksheet you create contains instructions and some samples.

Having run all of my classic Macs from MPW I cannot believe that everyone doesn't use a worksheet.

--

Applescript syntax is like English spelling:
Roughly, but not thoroughly, thought through.