[X4U] FileVault requiring WAY too much drive space?

Trade Sniper trade_sniper at cox.net
Tue Mar 14 22:11:21 PST 2006

I have a 57GB (primary) hard drive in my QuickSilver.  I also have a
128GB secondary drive.  I'm trying to turn on FileVault for my home
directory on that primary drive.  Right now, with an empty trash can,
I have almost 39GB free.  I went to turn it on and I get an error
messages saying that it needs an additional 4059.9GB free to turn on
FileVault, to try deleting some files or emptying the trash.  4GB I
could see, even 25GB, but not 4TB.  How can it require more that
twice the space thats currently in use?

I know it needs free space, I could see it needing as much room as
whats currently in use to make a copy, maybe even a little larger to
account for the encryption, but 4TB more, for 18GB worth of used data
can't be right?

The trick setup would be to copy and encrypt a little, then delete
what it just copied and encrypted, then grab the next chunk, then it
wouldn't need much free space to do the conversion.  But I have no
idea what it does behind the scenes during this encryption conversion
and this method probably wouldn't work or wouldn't be safe.  It
probably needs to build it all then run some comparison against the
whole thing to make sure its valid before it will delete anything.

Anyway, anyone have any ideas why it would require this much space?
Or if there is some other problem?