[X4U] Wireless printing

Simon Forster simon-lists at ldml.com
Fri Mar 17 01:49:29 PST 2006

On 17 Mar 2006, at 00:35, Paul Moortgat wrote:

> Someone asked me if I could help, but I can't.  I don't do wireless
> or PC.
>
> The question:
>   I recently purchased, installed and am using a Linksys wireless
> router with my Windows laptop. I have the Mac desktop and two
> printers networked and connected to the router, but I can’t “see”
> the Mac or the printers wirelessly.
>   Have you any experience with this?
>   I’ve contacted Linksys, but they don’t support their wireless
> routers for network printing. I’m certain this can be done, but my
> efforts have failed. Can you help me, or steer me in the direction
> of help?

All things being default but with the Mac set up with file sharing on
with the "share with windows" checkbox checked (or whatever the
mechanism is), "someone" should be able to connect to the Mac by
tippity tapping in the TCP/IP address. For me, PC Networking is a bit
of a hit or miss affair so I can't go through the PC side of things -
but it works and I've done it a few times now.

The printers may be more fun. With luck, someone's network printers
have assigned IP numbers and so all someone needs to do is set up a
new TCP/IP printer with the appropriate address. More amusingly,
someone may need to share the network printers via the Mac and then
print to the printer presented on the Mac. Again, this works fine.
Indeed I can print from home to a LaserJet 2100N (IIRC) in the office
in London using just such a mechanism (beware - double edged sword!
Print to right printer or embarrassment likely!).

Vague questions get vague answers I'm afraid.

Anyway HTH

Simon Forster