[X4U] Tiger's Calculator.app no longer does percentages?

Eddie Hargreaves meged at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 22 10:56:43 PST 2006

On 11/26/05 10:49 PM, John Baltutis <baltwo at san.rr.com> wrote:

> On 11/26/05, Neil <Lists at mac.com> wrote:
>
>> on 11/26/05 6:07 PM, John Baltutis wrote:
>>
>>> If Panther's calculator works the way you described, then, IMHO, it's the
>>> one with the error, not the one in Tiger.
>>
>> I disagree.  Panther's calculator made an arguably more reasonable
>> assumption than Tiger's did.  I'm not sure that I would say one is clearly
>> correct though.
>
> Disagree all you want, but mathematically, you're wrong.

It appears that Apple has heard the complaints of those of use who prefer
the original usage of the % key.

Mac OS X 10.4.3 or later: Calculator may perform division when using %
button

"In Mac OS X 10.4.3 or later, Calculator's percentage button ("%") may
unexpectedly divide output instead of calculating percentage (for example,
it may divide by 100). Note: This button is only available in the scientific
calculator of the Calculator application."

Whether they change it back or not (I say provide a preference setting) is
still undecided:

"This document will be updated as more information becomes available."

--
Eddie Hargreaves