[X4U] Earthlink, VOIP, and the Mac

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Thu Mar 23 07:12:47 PST 2006

I've had the same ISP for 10 years. They're local, have excellent live 24
hour support, and HAD a comarketing arrangement for aDSL with PacBell, long
before it was swallowed into SBC and then back into a virtual monopoly. Now,
my high speed internet costs much more than if I purchased service directly
from SBC, but they charge a BUNCH more for a static IP, which I get at no
charge (or, more precisely, my ISP's basic charge).

Yesterday I received a snail mail advertisement from Earthlink offering
voice phone service (as VOIP, of course) AND aDSL internet access with 8
mailboxes, all for $64.95/month. This includes unlimited local/US long
distance calling, voice call features such as caller ID, call waiting, and
message center service, e911 service, and of course unified billing.

Although several years ago Steve Jobs and Earthlink announced a marketing
arrangement, I don't know if that still exists; I've occasionally heard
grumblings about Mac tech support from Earthlink. I don't think I NEED tech
support for Mac specific issues as long as I can convince the tech support
person I know of what I speak.

The Earthlink sales people tell me I can continue to use my existing
telephones, and that the VOIP on my "line 1" won't conflict with my analog
"line 2" carried on adjacent twisted pairs in my standard house telephone
wiring.

However, there are some puzzles/unknowns here:

 - Won't (or can't) the new AT&T gradually price Earthlink out of access to
my pipe (the wires that come into my house that are owned by SBC)?

 - Is VOIP ready for everyday use as my basic phone service? (I'm a bit
protected here, because for some reason Earthlink cannot transfer both of my
incoming phone lines to their service, and I can keep the second line for
POTS emergency outgoing calls and incoming fax service.

Anyone been down this road already and care to offer advice?

Jim Robertson