[X4U] What Is IMAP ?

David Flory daflory at speakeasy.net
Wed May 3 13:26:50 PDT 2006

On May 3, 2006, at 12:40 PM, Randy B.Singer wrote:

> Vern Andrews said:
>
>> What is IMAP, and how do I use IMAP? What is the difference between
>> and IMAP, and ..... ?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Message_Access_Protocol
>
> IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol) is a protocol allowing a
> client
> to access and manipulate electronic mail messages on a server. It
> permits
> manipulation of remote message folders (mailboxes), in a way that is
> functionally equivalent to local mailboxes.
>
> POP (Post Office Protocol) is a protocol designed to allow single user
> computers to retrieve electronic mail from a POP server. The POP
> server
> might be a computer with a permanent Internet connection but its
> clients
> might only connect to it occasionally, for example by modem.
>
> IMAP servers are usually used over large company or college networks

As a followup to Randy's info' there is an application called
POPmonitor which lets you do IMAP type stuff on a POP server. It
grabs the headers of e-mail that is there and lets you check just
that and decide whether to delete, bounce, download, block or
whitelist msg.s there. Nice little program with filters, etc.

Fair winds and happy bytes, Dave Flory, San Jose, CA., and Flower
Mound, TX.
--
Speak softly, study Aikido, & you won't need to carry a big stick!
See my photos @ <http://homepage.mac.com/dflory>