[X4U] What Is IMAP ?

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Wed May 3 17:55:50 PDT 2006

At 1:26 PM -0700 5/3/06, David Flory wrote:

>As a followup to Randy's info' there is an application called
>POPmonitor which lets you do IMAP type stuff on a POP server. It
>grabs the headers of e-mail that is there and lets you check just
>that and decide whether to delete, bounce, download, block or
>whitelist msg.s there. Nice little program with filters, etc.

I use MailSiphon for this purpose. For instance, sometimes someone
has a big email stuck on their server, making their mail frozen,
unable to download. I use MailSiphon to simply acces the mail on
their POP server, and delete any obviously overlarge messages with
attachments, and their mail is then miraculously able to function
again.
POP Monitor probably does exactly the same thing.

You can also usually set your email client to "leave mail on server"
for a set amount of time, and so get some of the advantages of IMAP:
you can see the mail from one location and later, the mail is still
there, availalble to be downloaded to your main computer.

Daly