[X4U] CD : Digital Audio cd same as CD for data?

Eugene list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Wed May 3 23:26:09 PDT 2006

On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 06:48:47PM CDT, Robert Ameeti <Robert at Ameeti.net> wrote:
:
: I have a CD-R disc. It says on it Compact Disc, Digital Audio
: Recordable for Consumer, 80 min, Digital Audio.
:
: Is this disc identical to the disc that I should be using to burn
: data files? Are there two different formatted types of discs?

Music CD-R media is the same as normal CD-R media, except that
the former has special bits that allow it to be used by home
stereo CD burning equipment to burn audio CDs.  Normal CD-R
media is rejected by home stereo CD burning equipment to burn
audio CDs.  The burned CD-R media, once burned, will play on any
system without restriction.  This restriction exists because of
greedy execs who want more money from consumers who copy music.
That's why Music CD-R media costs more: to help the obscenely
wealthy become even more obscene and more wealthy.

If you burning music to CD-R media on your computer (and not on
those cheesy home stereo CD burning equipment), use standard
CD-R media like you always have.  Anyone who tells you that
music CD-R media is better than normal CD-R media is an idiot.

--
Eugene
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/