[X4U] Mac Mini's prone to kernal panics?

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Thu May 4 13:11:27 PDT 2006

Richard Gilmore said:

>I have a friend with a PPC Mac Mini with 512 of RAM and Tiger. He was
>getting constant kernal panics so I reinstalled the system and it is better
>but he still gets them occasionally are the Mini¹s prone to them?

*No* Macintosh running OS X is prone to kernel panics.  If you see more
than one or two kernel panics per year you should consider that highly
unusual.  (I've *never* seen a kernel panic on one of my personal Macs.
And I've been using various versions of OS X on several Macs, everyday
for 5 years.)

Kernel panics are usually (but not always) caused by a hardware problem.
Most commonly it is out-of-spec third party RAM, or a bad USB hub, using
an iSight with other peripherals, or a problematic PCI card (obviously
not a problem with a Mac mini).  But the problem can be caused by just
about any peripheral, or by having too many peripherals attached to one
bus.

The thing to do is to return the mini to an out-of-box state, with no
third-party hardware attached/installed, make sure that there are no
software problems (run Disk Utility/Repair Disk or Disk Warrior, and
maybe do an archive and install of the OS to be sure that it is pristine)
and see if the problem goes away.  If it doesn't, your Mac needs to go
back to Apple for repair.  More than likely it will be fine.  You can
then add things to it one at a time to see which causes that problem.

Randy B. Singer

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html