[X4U] Airport password-

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Fri May 5 09:27:24 PDT 2006

At 12:09 PM -0400 5/5/06, Richard Gilmore wrote:
>I have another friend with an Apple wireless router is there a way to
>password protect it so her neighbours can't access it so easily?

Yes, go to /Applications/Utilities/Airport Admin Utility

Choose her base station from the list, and click the Configure
button.  In the resulting window, in the Wireless Security area,
click the "Change Wireless Security" button. In there, you choose a
type of Wireless Security, and the Encryption type. Whatever, you
choose, you will need to create a password for the network. Then
click Okay.

Once it has a password, outsiders will not be able to access the
network without using the password. A good password, not guessable,
should do what she wants. Don't forget the password. She will need it
to get into her own network. The neighbors will still see the network
but won't get in and use it.

This is pretty rudimentary. Perhaps someone else knows how to make
the network invisible? Is it by setting up a Closed Network in the
Airport Admin Utility?

Daly