[X4U] Any way to change port for local web server?

Michael Elliott michaelelliott at mac.com
Sat May 13 16:35:32 PDT 2006

I'm thinking about publishing my local website (just family photos,
etc.) by using my /sites folder and the built-in webserver in OS X.
Currently, I have a "site" that spans 4 tripod.com websites, and am
interested in consolidating them directly onto my hard drive.

I'm using Cox Cable for high-speed internet.  They block port 80 to
prevent this exact use.  For those in the group who are capable of
refraining from reminding me that there is a reason for this block
(bandwidth, violates terms of service, etc.), I have a couple of
questions.

I can use www.no-IP.com to set up a static IP address that points to
my DHCP-assigned IP address so that the links which I mail out can be
directed at all times to my home computer (which is always on).  no-
IP also will forward http requests to a different port than 80,
thereby circumventing the port filtering by cox internet.

Can I use OS X's built-in server to serve, even though incoming
requests will be directed at a port other than 80?  I can't find a
way to change the port setup in OS X, but thought maybe someone would
know.

It'd be great to be able to make simple changes to my family photos
website without the hassle of dealing with ftp, etc.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Michael