[X4U] Any way to change port for local web server?

..lj darwin at ljsworld.com
Sat May 13 16:54:02 PDT 2006

On May 13, 2006, at 16:35, Michael Elliott wrote:

> I'm thinking about publishing my local website (just family photos,
> etc.) by using my /sites folder and the built-in webserver in OS
> X.  Currently, I have a "site" that spans 4 tripod.com websites,
> and am interested in consolidating them directly onto my hard drive.
>
> I'm using Cox Cable for high-speed internet.  They block port 80 to
> prevent this exact use.  For those in the group who are capable of
> refraining from reminding me that there is a reason for this block
> (bandwidth, violates terms of service, etc.), I have a couple of
> questions.
>
> I can use www.no-IP.com to set up a static IP address that points
> to my DHCP-assigned IP address so that the links which I mail out
> can be directed at all times to my home computer (which is always
> on).  no-IP also will forward http requests to a different port
> than 80, thereby circumventing the port filtering by cox internet.
>
> Can I use OS X's built-in server to serve, even though incoming
> requests will be directed at a port other than 80?  I can't find a
> way to change the port setup in OS X, but thought maybe someone
> would know.
>
> It'd be great to be able to make simple changes to my family photos
> website without the hassle of dealing with ftp, etc.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Michael

Two ways come to mine.

1) Edit the file /etc/httpd/httpd.conf file. You want to change the
listen line to something like
Listen 1080
Where 1080 is the port you are using.

2) If you have a router between the computer and the cable modem
(Always a good idea), You can let it forward port the port you're
using to port 80.
..lj