[X4U] "Find" highlighted color in Preview...any way to change?

Michael Elliott michaelelliott at mac.com
Tue May 16 16:20:56 PDT 2006

Let's give an example where I'm searching in a tabular document that
is several hundred pages long, composed of multiple rows and columns
of dense text.  I search for a word that occurs 100 times.

I'd like to be able to enter that string into the "find" text box,
have Preview do its magic and display all of the resulting hits in
the "serach" column..and be able to simply click on each instance and
be able to zero in on the highlighted word in the table itself.
Unfortunately, the text itself is difficult to find in the table,
because it is "highlighted" in gray.  Yes, I can click in the
document window, and it will then turn the color of the preferred
highlight.  But that's an extra step. Yes, a small extra step :-)
And, yes, I know that this is following some sort of interface
guideline (the search results column is the focus at that moment, so
no other section is "highlighted".

But I still wish it was the other way around :-)

I've been using Macs since 1984, and I have to admit that this wasn't
very intuitive.  It took me coming to this forum to realize that
clicking in the document would return my highlights back to color :-)

Michael