[X4U] Remote Desktop Question

Michael Elliott michaelelliott at mac.com
Mon May 22 17:44:37 PDT 2006

That's how I feel using VNC with the built-in VNC server in OS X.
Painfully slow.  But I can still get some basic functionality.

Maybe my memories are too rosy, but it seems like I could use VNC
with OS9 over a dialup connection, and it had seemed much faster.
I'm sure this has to do with either 1) my foggy memory or 2) the
difference in complexity (alpha channels, blending, transparency,
etc) that the windowing engine has to transmit.

What I wish I could get is transmission of just a small square of
screen around the cursor sent as an iChat-like video transmission.
I'm usually more interested in opening/closing windows, launching,
changing preferences in apps, etc, than seeing my entire desktop.

Michael