[X4U] OSX under the hood info please.

Doug McNutt douglist at macnauchtan.com
Tue Nov 7 13:21:35 PST 2006

At 11:01 -0800 11/7/06, John Richardson wrote:
>There is no simple language for under the hood.

If you really,. . . REALLY..., want to know what's under the hood and have time for some bedtime reading:

"The Design of the UNIX Operating System" Maurice Bach, ISBN 0-13-201799-7  025, Prentice Hall, 1986.

and a continuation:

"The Design and Implementation of the 4.4 BSD Operating System McKusick. Bostic, Karels, and Quarterman, ISBN 0201549794, Addison-Weslsy 2002.

The experience is well worth the time but the material requires real academic interest. I spent a month of evenings and learned a whole lot that was applicable to OS neXt. I also learned about things so far under the hood that I shall never actually get there.

--

Applescript syntax is like English spelling:
Roughly, though not thoroughly, thought through.