[X4U] How big is a DVD really? -> www-prefix

B. Kuestner kuestner at macnews.de
Wed Nov 22 13:41:15 PST 2006

>> Yes, but its caught on in popular use as well as using "web" to
>> replace "www" at the beginning of just about every URL in the
>> world. Regardless of how much better (just think how much easier
>> it is to say "web" than W-W-W), it just hasn't caught on.

I feel like many of the replies are missing the original idea of the
first post and my response:

We're stuck with a suboptimal www-abbrevation. And wouldn't it be
nice if the course of history had agreed on "web" instead? (Not
something that will likely come true, but we're all free to daydream.)

I then added that in fact we're stuck with a suboptimal abbreviation,
when technically no servername is needed at all. Implying that
wouldn't it be even nicer we went from "www.ibm.com" to "web.ibm.com"
to "ibm.com" But again the course of history has decided, so that now
both users and site admins treat the www-thingy like a must.

The server name before the domain was conceived before there were
clusters, with the idea of specifically targeting one machine. The
whole concept is obsolete by now due to the developments in
technology with clusters of servers serving one domain. But the
server abbreviation has still survived.

If there's one thing we can learn from that, then how easy it can be
to start a tradition. (c:

Björn