[X4U] How big is a DVD really? -> www-prefix

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Wed Nov 22 19:13:56 PST 2006

On 22 Nov 2006, at 21:41, B. Kuestner wrote:
> I then added that in fact we're stuck with a suboptimal
> abbreviation, when technically no servername is needed at all.
> Implying that wouldn't it be even nicer we went from "www.ibm.com"
> to "web.ibm.com" to "ibm.com" But again the course of history has
> decided, so that now both users and site admins treat the www-
> thingy like a must.

It's a sub-optimal naming "convention", I would say.

IMO the best way to combat this is to have your business cards
printed not www.mydomain.com but instead http://mydomain.com.

Having www.mydomain.com could be an invitation to telnet, ftp or
gopher to the host www - it is not explicit that the http protocol in
intended.

Stroller.