[X4U] How big is a DVD really? -> www-prefix

Chris Long clong at mac.com
Wed Nov 22 19:57:32 PST 2006

On Nov 22, 2006, at 9:13 PM, Stroller wrote:

> On 22 Nov 2006, at 21:41, B. Kuestner wrote:
>> I then added that in fact we're stuck with a suboptimal
>> abbreviation, when technically no servername is needed at all.
>> Implying that wouldn't it be even nicer we went from "www.ibm.com"
>> to "web.ibm.com" to "ibm.com" But again the course of history has
>> decided, so that now both users and site admins treat the www-
>> thingy like a must.
>
> It's a sub-optimal naming "convention", I would say.
>
> IMO the best way to combat this is to have your business cards
> printed not www.mydomain.com but instead http://mydomain.com.
>
> Having www.mydomain.com could be an invitation to telnet, ftp or
> gopher to the host www - it is not explicit that the http protocol
> in intended.

Although I don't use the feature much, it is possible to type apple,
or ibm, or whatever in the address bar and at least Safari and IE
direct you to www.apple.com or www.ibm.com or www.whatever.com.  I
don't know about Firefox, and I don't know how reliable it is,
because I've always just pinged the web server and then entered the
IP address in the address bar.  HE HE! Just kidding!

Chris