[X4U] How big is a DVD really? -> www-prefix

Robert Ameeti robert at ameeti.net
Wed Nov 22 20:37:57 PST 2006

At 10:41 PM +0100, 11/22/06, B. Kuestner wrote:

>The server name before the domain was conceived before there were
>clusters, with the idea of specifically targeting one machine. The
>whole concept is obsolete by now due to the developments in
>technology with clusters of servers serving one domain. But the
>server abbreviation has still survived.

The whole concept is in no way obsolete. Clusters of servers don't
change anything about the way that this system works. The system is
still a very wonderful design that allows for distribution of
responsibilities and equipment across multiple persons or
geographical areas.

ie. I can have the Science department take responsibility for their
stuff by their using http://science.harvard.edu and the Math
department take responsibility for their stuff by their using
http://math.harvard.edu each on their own servers.

This scheme can distribute to different people or divisions of a
company. Or it can distribute amongst multiple computers at one
location. The system is very much in use.
--

Robert Ameeti

There's always an easy solution to every human problem -- neat, plausible, and wrong.
~ Henry Louis Mencken