[X4U] How big is a DVD really? -> www-prefix

B. Kuestner kuestner at macnews.de
Thu Nov 23 12:43:47 PST 2006

> The whole concept is in no way obsolete. Clusters of servers don't
> change anything about the way that this system works. The system is
> still a very wonderful design that allows for distribution of
> responsibilities and equipment across multiple persons or
> geographical areas.
>
> ie. I can have the Science department take responsibility for their
> stuff by their using http://science.harvard.edu and the Math
> department take responsibility for their stuff by their using
> http://math.harvard.edu each on their own servers.

Yes, but your example does it the "right" way. Since "http://"
already signifies that you want to attempt a web server (or cluster)
that server (or cluster) is not named www.science.harvard.edu.

Apple does the same thing in that they seem to host their
developer.apple.com somewhere else.

So science and math and developer are more like content-driven
subdivisions rather than technical ones.

www.domainname.com was conceived as opposed to ftp.domainname.com.
Why do that today? ftp:// already takes care of that.

Again: The original post was about replacing www with web. And I said
that this prefix is not needed in the first place. I meant the above
post to be read in that context.

Oh boy, what a thread for something that doesn't really change the
world. But then, thinking of how many people type www every day and
how much ink is printed for www everywhere, maybe getting rid of it
(where it is not useful) would change the world. (c:

Björn