[X4U] Mail won't launch

Mark Gilchrist markg5 at myrealbox.com
Sat Nov 25 08:28:07 PST 2006

On 25 Nov 2006, at 15:48, Jim Freeman wrote:

> I'm trying to help my father over the telephone. Apple Mail won't
> launch on his G4 iBook running 10.4.8. It used to work fine.
> Everything else seems to work fine. But when he tries to launch
> Mail it bounces a couple of times (or half a time), but never
> starts up. I had him repair preferences. I had him run Preferential
> Treatment. I had him trash com.apple.mail.plist. Nothing seems to
> help.

I have had problems with corrupt email messages on the server. In the
end I use my ISP's webmail service, delete obvious spam and try again

> Can he reinstall just Mail from the Tiger installation disk? Tiger
> didn't come with the computer.

I think that's all tied up in various packages. If it seems
impossible to get the Mail to install by itself you might want to
have a look for Pacifist which enables you to get at individual
intallers

Good Luck!