[X4U] Option Key sticking (possibly because of VNC)

Philip J Robar philip.robar at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 04:36:25 PST 2006

On Nov 28, 2006, at 3:38 PM, Brett Conlon wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone has any ideas... I have a Retrospect Mac
> (G4/533DP) running 10.4 and Retrospect and from time to time the
> Option
> Key sticks, eg. if I close one window, all windows close or if I type
> something in, the option key characters show.
>
> Rebooting fixes it. Previously it was seldom in occurrence but in
> the past
> few days it has been happening each day.
>
> This issue only seemed to show up after I installed VNC Server and the
> designers connected to it via Chicken of the VNC. So I'm assuming
> this has
> something to do with it. No other Mac in the studio has ever displayed
> this issue and no other Mac has ever had the VNC Server installed on
> it.

This might help narrow down the problem: On the server machine, turn
on Apple Remote Desktop in the Sharing Preferences Panel and turn off
VNC Server. Then connect with Chicken of the VNC and see if the
problem goes away. (Apple Remote Desktop is compatible with Chicken of
the VNC. That's how I manage my home server.)

If it does then the problem may be VNC Server, if not then maybe a
keyboard setting in Chicken of the VNC is effecting the server's
settings.

Phil
--
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do
nothing."